A "SEA" called temporary familiarity

 In New York, I would get this sudden urge and inspiration to write something about the city one second and in the next, I would whip up a 1000 word piece out of thin air. And I used to feel inspired to write quite often, hence the 9 blogs in 9 months. In Seattle though, in the 10 weeks that I have been here, I have opened up a blank note almost every week and tried to write about my experiences here, the places I have visited and the food I have enjoyed with my friends. And each time, I've failed to come up with more than two sentences. And those end up in a story on my Instagram instead of being a starting point for my blog. I've been trying to figure out why, all of a sudden, the pipes, through which my creative juices are supposed to flow, are blocked. No, it's not because I've lost my sense of humour or yapping abilities. And it's also not the case that I don't have very many adventures to write about. (Believe me, I do.)  So then what is it??

The only explanation I have been able to come up with so far is that, deep inside, I feel like if I write about Seattle (or any other city for that matter (except Mumbai of course)), I will be betraying New York (I AM that dramatic. Sue me.) Let's face it, my blog is named 'novice new yorker' and so is my instagram and my entire personality. There hasn't been a day where I haven't thought about "what would I be doing right now if I were in New York" or "Man did I miss my only chance of experiencing summer in New York?" But I know that's not it. I know the real reason and I am too afraid to put it into words but I will have to because for the second half of the year, our goal is to start feeling and acting like a grown up and the first step towards that foal is to face your worst fears. 

So what is my worst fear? You guessed it, it's leaving New York City. Or rather, not knowing for certain if I'll ever be able to live in New York again. You see, when I came to America for the first time, I knew for a fact that I was gonna live in New York for AT LEAST 18 months. But I got an internship in Seattle so that took away three of those months (not complaining, just presenting facts) and I'm going home for another month which will take away 30 more days (again, couldn't be happier, just facts). So 18 became 14. All that is left now is four of these months. Only four months that I am gonna be living in New York City (with certainty.) But what happens after those four months? No idea. I could be in an entirely different state here or I might even have to go back home. The former, I have have got an idea what it would look like since I'm in that situation for the last 11 weeks. The latter is how I have lived 21 years of my life so not an unknown situation but do I wanna go back to it? I don't know really. Either way, there's a very high chance that these four months will be the last four months I LIVE in New York AS a (novice) New Yorker. I will visit, a hundered percent, a hundred more times, but it'll not be the same. 

There, faced my fear and admitted it. Put it into words. It's gonna go out in the world for seven people to read. Now what? Now, I need to actually digest this fact and try to be okay with this fact. I have to live the next five months, knowing that this might happen and I need to be okay with it. I need to be okay with the possibility of moving back home and I need to be okay with the possibility of moving to some other city here in the North American region (if I'm lucky). Let's face it. There's a ton of shit I haven't expericend in my home city and my life's mission is to visit as many new places I can and call them my second, fourth, and tenth homes. That is not gonna happen if I never leave New York! Am i right or am i right? 


So let's start this little journey I like to call "accept it before it's too late and the shock affects you more than it should." I'm gonna do that by acknowledging the amazing (for the most part) 10 (11) weeks i have had here in Seattle. I've made some new, really close friends. I've explored so many places and experiences this city has to offer. And even though 12 weeks is a short time, this place has started to feel like home. The streets, the bus routes, the buildings, the skyline, the coffee shops, the people - they've started feeling familiar. And that is all I crave. Familiarity. It took me a while to get this feeling in New York and it took me a longer while to get this familiar feeling in Seattle. But I got it. And in about 9 days, when i head to the airport and look back at the city one last time, it's gonna be bittersweet. Sweet because I'm gonna be heading home after one year and one week. Sweeter because I have a day and a half to spend in New York before I head home. Bitter because it'll be a goodbye to Seattle. At least for a while. Could be forever. And if it is the latter case, I wanna remember all the good time's I've had here. 

So the next thing you read on this blog will be me yapping about the said good time. I'm gonna be true to the nature of this blog and actually write about travel and places and experiences and big cities. Only this time, it'll be set in Seattle. Just a one time thing. Summer love. 12 weeks of sweet summer love. Yes, the only thing I fall in love with is places (pathetic but sadly true.) So, on my 9 hour journey from Seattle to New York City, I'll write about each of the twelve weekends I've lived here. And believe me, each one was amazing. I might not be able to put it into words in the most amazing way but trust me, I will try my absolute best. Because even though no one knows if a pilot will be picked up by the network or not, the crew puts their heart and soul into making it. And I have a good feeling that this is gonna be up there with "The One Where it All Began." 

Until next time! 

PS. Seattle's acronym is SEA, hence the title :)))

~ Vee 🪐

Comments

Popular Posts